Directions for 4506T

How do I Prepare IRS Form 4506-T without going crazy?

When you need to verify tax information reported on your Federal income tax return for one or more years, you can request a transcript from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) called Form 4506T.

You can have the transcript be sent to yourself or to a third party. The request can also verify income from information reports such as Form W-2, Form 1099 and Form 5498 as well as verify that a tax return was not filed at all.

Simple how to Instructions are included for you to make life easier:

  1. First step would be to Download the Form 4506T. Request for Transcript of Tax Return from the IRS website. If you are requesting more than four years or periods of a particular tax return, you will have to file an additional Form 4506T.
  2. The second step would be to Complete the applicant information in Items 1 to 4 of the form.
  3. The third step would be If this request is in regards to a joint return, show both social security numbers in the same order as shown in the original tax return as filed.
  4. The fourth step is to Show the name, address, and telephone number of a third party who is to receive a transcript in Item 5 of the form.4.4
  5. The fifth step. Now Be sure Check the appropriate boxes in Items 6 through 8 for the information being requested, and show the applicable years or periods in Item 9 of the form. (Note that each Form 4506T request can cover only one type of tax return such as Form 1040.)
  6. A most important step. Be sure to Sign and date Form 4506T and include your telephone number. You do not want to risk having a form rejected for something so simple.
  7. The last step would be to Send the form to the Internal Revenue Service at the address shown for the state in which you live. There is no fee for obtaining a transcript of tax returns.